Today was the second hardest day of my life. Today I had to make the choice to let Molly go.
Right before Christmas, she ate some string and became ill. She had surgery to remove it on the 23rd. We were worried about her all through Christmas, but on Boxing day she started eating again. She became more mobile and began acting like her normal self.
Her belly was still tender, but no one was overly worried and we were just to keep an extra eye on her and make sure she was comfortable and fed and watered and so on.
Yesterday when I got up to give her her medicine, I found she was leaking from her incisions. We took her to the emergency vet where (after paying a ridiculous fee) she was given painkillers and antibiotics for her pain and fever. We were told best case scenario it was a skin infection and with antibiotics she would be ok. Worst case scenario would be peritonitis and at that point we would need to decide if a second surgery would be in her best interests as it would carry significant risks.
This morning we took her to the vet and after some tests it was found she did have peritonitis.
This afternoon at approximately 2pm, my darling girl left this world. Steph and I are heartbroken. She was so young and lovely and I miss her and will miss her terribly. I wish I could have done more for her and had the financial resources so I could have given her a better chance.
She was the best girl. 🙁