Looking back on this year, I was unable to find a post related to goals or resolutions for 2016. I figured that my main goal was to finish my thesis and pass my Viva, and anything else in addition would be great. I finished my thesis and passed my Viva, so I consider that a win.
Goals for 2017
- Find a job. This is pretty much the first and most immediate goal apart from my thesis corrections. It’s rather intimidating as I’m not entirely confident in the search so far. I have always struggled when job searching, to the point where I’d send out 300-500 resumes in a summer and not hear anything back from anyone. I hope that it’s not like that this time around.
- Journal every day. Last Christmas, Steph got me a daily journal where you record your thoughts every day and it records them for 5 years. It’s like a paper Timehop. Theres’s only a few lines for each day in each year, however. This year I’d like to spend a little more time writing about my day, what’s gone on, and how I’m feeling.
- Run a sub 30 minute 5K. You’d think that for someone who has been running for as long as I have, that this would have been crossed off my list by now. But it hasn’t. I struggle with running faster as I am afraid I will make myself sick (I’m a paranoid emetophobe, what I can I tell you?). My current fastest time is 31:57 and that was on the treadmill. Even if it takes me until the 31 December 2017 to get to 29:59, I’ll be happy.
- Run another half-marathon (and not get injured). I’ve run 2 half-marathons so far and I’d like to run another. I ended up pulling my leg/knee about halfway through my last half, so I’d like to train and run another without any issues or incident. The key to that is. . .
- Stretch and strength train more consistently. I know why I struggled towards the end of my half training last year, and that was my lack of consistency. Granted, part of that was due to the fact I was trying to finish my thesis, but spending 10-20 minutes stretching isn’t exactly a hardship.
- Lose the last 30 or so pounds I need to. If nothing else this year has shown that I need to make my health a priority and getting to a healthy weight is important.
Any goals or resolutions you’d like to share? Leave ’em in the comments! Happy New Year!